Holiday period is generally perceived as being retired of school responsibilities relaxation and fun time. However, even though there can be different plans, holidays also carry the risk of turning into boredom and spending days with inefficient occupations. It should be remembered that holidays are an opportunity. It is important to observe family relations and sentimental evolution of children.
Children’s life are consist of routines. Holidays are times that those routines and responsibilities decrease, and gives opportunity to discover new entertaining and informative activities. Many parents experience that negatives behaviours caused by school time stress decrease and children grow, but they can’t create an efficient schedule for children and have difficulties about controlling them. Plans for holidays should be created depending on age, needs and characteristics of children
At the beginning of the holiday every family member can list their plans and offer suggestions to each other to make those plans fun and efficient.
Suggestions for families with children:
- Holidays are opportunities especially for children who can write and read. This time period should be valued by reading book every day.
- Children can also focus on subject that they are interested in. They can go to museums, art galleries and go camps with suitable organisations.
- Travelling with transportations that they rarely use like bus, train or ship can broaden their horizon and provide them a new point of view. Travel destinations also should be picked considering their natural and historical sights.
- With support of the family, it is also possible to maintain a research about nature and environmental issues. Volunteer work can be an option.
- Sport is an important holiday activity. Dependence on technology in routine causes children to drawn away from physical activities. Every parent wants their children to be successful at one sport activity. Actually, the reason why children have sport in their life is because it contributes to their whole development.
- It will be observed that after some time, children will want to do something different. At this time period, they can visit grandparents and relatives.
- Spending a couple days with grandparent without parents can be an interesting experience for them.
- Craft work, painting, or collecting the objects that they are interested in can be options. These activities also reduce the time spend with electronics and shows children that technology is not the only entertainment form.
- Family albums can be reviewed, parents can tell children stories of photos.